How do you know if you should hire a professional dog trainer?
- When you are a first time dog owner – There is a lot of information out there on how to raise a dog, and if you are a first time dog owner it is difficult to know what will actually help. A professional dog trainer can help you navigate this information, and get you and your dog on the right track.
- When you are in over your head – Even an experienced dog owner may come across a problem they do not have experience with. If the problem behavior hasn’t been solved by what you currently know, a professional dog trainer can help teach you the skills you need to get a handle on the behavior.
- When quality of life is suffering – If you or your dog is experience a reduction in your quality of life, you should seek professional help. This can be anything from extreme fears/phobias that reduce your dog’s quality of life, to a dog that tries to escape the front door at every opportunity which reduces your quality of life. You and your dog deserve to be happy, and a professional dog trainer can help you reach that goal.
- When you want to take your training to the next level – Maybe you already have a very well trained dog, but you know they are capable of more. A professional dog trainer can help you realize your dog’s potential, and find activities that your dog excels at.
- When your dog has threatened or done harm to a human – We don’t like to talk about dogs that threaten people, but these dogs definitely need professional help to keep them from being a risk to anyone. If you have a dog that has acted aggressively toward a person, a professional dog trainer is your first point of contact. Be aware that a trainer may refer you on to a more experienced colleague if they do not feel comfortable working with an aggression case.
- When you want to be competitive – If you want to compete in dog sports, hiring a professional trainer with experience in competitive dog sports can be very helpful in fine tuning your performance.
If you are looking for a professional dog trainer in your area, check out the Certified Dog Trainer Directory. In my next post I will talk about finding the right trainer for you and your dog.
2016 is going to be an exciting year for Dogs Deciphered! Megan has spent the last 3 years working full time for a growing grooming salon, daycare, and grooming school, while building her training business on the side. The time has come, and Megan has gone part-time to focus more on training! This means she will be seeing private in-home clients throughout Northern Colorado, 5 days a week, with select weekends available. She will also be offering classes in both Fort Collins and Loveland, with daytime, evening, and weekend classes being offered. If this is your year to spend more time working on your dog’s behavior, or learning something new, contact Megan today to find out about her expanded schedule of private lessons and group classes!
January is National Train Your Dog Month, so I am offering $10 off to any past student for any class beginning in January. Start dates can be found on the Calendar, and you can sign up by calling 970-663-3647!
Megan’s Rhodesian Ridgeback Fawkes loves the snow! He also loves helping Megan teach Mind Your Manners! and My Dog Can Do That!
I realize I haven’t updated the site in forever, but I’m going to get started before the New Year on updating more regularly. If I make it a New Year’s Resolution, I’m likely to stop by the end of January, but if I just make it a new habit, hopefully the trend will continue! I have put classes on the schedule starting in January, including Beginning and Advanced Scents & Scent Abilities, and My Dog Can Do That! a new intermediate level tricks and games class. Don’t forget that Mind Your Manners! is an open enrollment class, meaning you can get started any week that there is space in the class. Click on the Calendar tab, and click over to January at the top of the calendar to see the scheduled start dates. If 2015 is your year to do more with your dog(s), then Dogs Deciphered is the place for all your classes!
Did you know that January is National Train Your Dog month? What are you planning on doing with your dogs? If you have any activities in mind, consider joining one of our group training classes! Every Thursday night is our open enrollment class Mind Your Manners! where you can get started any time you want. We cover household manners, and other foundation skills for a well mannered pet. Looking for something outside the box? Our Scents and Scent Abilities class teaches your dog to use his nose in a constructive way. This class can be a fun activity, or prepare you for competition nose work. Call 970-663-3647 to ask about classes today!
Emily checks under the box to see if her hide is down there!
Did you know our Mind Your Manners class is Open Enrollment, meaning you can get started this week? This foundation class covers foundation behaviors such as “go to mat”, leave it, polite greetings, loose leash walking, and coming when called. You can join any week, and then you have 12 weeks to complete the 6 week course, giving you more flexibility. Call 970-663-3647 to sign up today!
Follow this link to join me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dogsdeciphered
I will post information about classes, training tips and tricks, and probably a few cute dog pictures. If you want the most up-to-date information about what’s going on with Dogs Deciphered, make sure to “Like” us today!
Welcome to the Dogs Deciphered homepage. Please check back often for site updates. I hope to get the calendar up as soon as possible, as well as some helpful training articles. Check back soon!